Artists and Curators from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands are invited to submit proposals for Xchanges’ next Gallery season
Submissions for our 2023-24 Public Exhibitions Program (September 2023 – June 2024) are now open. The submission deadline is February 15, 2023.
Decisions regarding submissions will be made by the middle of March 2023.
Xchanges programming encourages a range of visual arts mediums with a particular interest in exhibiting the diverse practices of artists in the early stages of their career and those who have taken a new departure with their work.
Xchanges is committed to exhibiting the work of artists from diverse and/or marginalized communities including Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour or Racialized persons, artists with accessibility challenges, and gender and sexually diverse artists. We recognize that these artists may need some additional supports (non-financial) to bring their work to the public. Artists are encouraged to share this information in their application, so we may include this when considering all applicants and how we can support them.
To be considered complete, submissions must include the following 8 items:
1. COVER LETTER – 1 page maximum. Include artist’s name, email address, phone number, and mailing address
2. PROPOSAL SUMMARY – 50 words maximum
3. CURRICULUM VITAE – 2 pages maximum
4. ARTIST’S STATEMENT – 1 page maximum
5. EXHIBITION PROPOSAL –1 page maximum. Include any special requirements
6. ARTIST’S BIO – 150 words maximum
7. FIVE to EIGHT IMAGES of ARTWORK or AUDIOVISUAL PERFORMANCES
Format Requirements: JPEGS, 500KB – 1MB, 72 dpi, 1024 x 768
All images/video files must be labeled with SEQUENCE#, FIRST INITIAL, LAST NAME-TITLE-YEAR PRODUCED (example: 1KSMITH-TITLE-2019)
8. IMAGE LIST – Include sequence #, first initial, last name, title, dimensions, medium, year
Please do not compress or zip your image files. They should be small enough to attach to the email itself. You do not need to send individual text files. Instead, compile them into one document.
- Xchanges Gallery currently has exhibitions booked through June 2023.
- Selected artists are expected to install their own work and are required to gallery sit during the three weekends of the exhibition.
- After their exhibition, artists are required to restore the exhibition space and walls to pre-exhibition condition.
- Artists who have participate in an exhibition at Xchanges within the previous two years are not eligible for the 2023-24 season, although they are eligible to participate in a group exhibition.
- The gallery floor space is used for other purposes during times when exhibitions are not open to the public. Please note that anything that is not fixed to the walls will be moved and should be easily movable.
- Xchanges pays an artist fee for the exhibition, and if the artist chooses to give an artist talk they will be paid a fee for that, as well.
- Xchanges does not return submissions and will dispose of material appropriately.
- The gallery jury committee will review all proposals submitted. Additional material will not be reviewed.
Download the PDF version of submission guidelines.
Please send complete proposals and any inquires via email to email@example.com, with the subject line “Xchanges Exhibition Proposal 2023-24”
OR complete the electronic form below.
Electronic Submission Form
Incomplete applications will not be considered
Xchanges gratefully acknowledges the support of the Province of British Columbia and the Capital Regional District for our gallery programs.