Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced new Covid-19 measures for the province. As of today, Xchanges advises that:
- The Gallery and all in-person Life Drawing sessions are suspended until December 7th.
For more information about these Provincial directives please see the following link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
You can also subscribe to the following blog post for regular updates on Covid-19 impacts and policies at Xchanges: COVID-19 Current Policies.
Starting in September 2020, we will now offer a combination of in-person and online life drawing sessions. These new sessions require a maximum of 5 in-person participants to register in advance. All sessions require a minimum of 10 participants (comprised of in-person and online participants).
SUSPENDED In Person and Online Life Drawing is open to anyone in the community – members and non members alike and all skill levels are welcome. In fact, beginners may be even more comfortable working in their own space to begin with. If you have any concerns about group gatherings or our in-person sessions are full, online is a great option.
These are non-instructed sessions; all experience levels are welcome. It’s a great place to meet other artists and hone your figurative skills in a supportive and creative environment.
Participants are encouraged to share or post their drawings and art resulting from the life drawing sessions on our Facebook page or send to us to post on our Instagram! We can also create new blog posts right here on our site so send those images in todayto our email: email@example.com.
Schedule & Links
6 Sessions Weekly
|2. Long Pose- Drawing/|
10:00 a.m. – Noon
ID: 822 9416 2109
|3. Life Drawing|
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
ID: 867 9603 5584
|1. Life Drawing|
ID: 811 6966 1252
|4. Portrait Drawing|
ID: 849 2331 2099
Pre-Registration is required.
|Session Type||Members||Non Members|
|In Person (2 hours)||$12.50||$17.50|
|Online (2 hours)||$10||$15|
|Online ( 1hour)||$5||$10|
How it works
Important: You can use the Zoom links above in the Schedule table. The Facilitators will confirm you have paid in advance of joining the session. If you have not paid, you will be given the link to the online store and once paid you can rejoin the meeting.
All sessions are subject to minimum registrations (10 per session). Early registration is recommended. Participants will be notified as soon as possible if it must be cancelled due to insufficient registration. All registration fees are non-refundable unless a session is cancelled. Any payments received will be refunded or can be applied to a future session.
The meeting rooms will be open for 15 minutes before the session begins to allow participants to set up and for those online to login in and review the House Keeping and Codes of Conduct information. All sessions will be moderated by an Xchanges Life Drawing Facilitators both In Person and Online.
During the break and at the end of the session, participants may choose to share their work and turn their video or audio on to chat with others online and in the room to introduce themselves. The Facilitators will help enable this interaction and orient participants to the tools.
Xchanges runs special projects for life drawing including exhibitions at the Gallery and online. All participants are welcome to join these activities when available.
For more information about online life drawing, please see our Testimonials page to see what others have to say about this program.
In-Person Participants – Covid Protocols (SEE COVID UPDATES)
In-person sessions are held in the gallery. Drawing boards, donkeys, and sculpture stands are provided. Participants provide their own art materials.
To reserve a space please visit our Online Store. All spaces are sold on a first come basis.
To comply with local health guidelines concerning Covid-19, please note the following guidelines being implemented at Xchanges:
- Participants will enter the facility through the west gate and proceed east down the balcony to the gallery doors.
- If the weather permits, windows and doors will remain open to allow for ventilation but will ensure that the model is protected from view.
- The capacity limit for the gallery exhibition is 5 artists +1 facilitator+1 model. This does not include studio artist who it is deemed, will be in their private studio space and NOT in the gallery at the same time.
- Only pre-registered and prepaid (via the online system) will be permitted into the gallery space. There will be no drop-ins permitted.
- Participants will be required to sanitize their hands at the sanitizing station and will be required to provide a name/phone number for tracing purposes. This list will be destroyed after a suitable time frame. Although the online registration does provide us with a list, the actual PRESENT attendance must be taken.
- All participants must remain 2m apart from each other.
- No participant or facilitator is allowed to move the model stage or the areas designated for easels/drawing donkeys. These are static stations measured to ensure physical distancing.
- Masks are highly recommended and Xchanges will have non-medical masks available. This may change with changing provincial guidelines.
- At break time we ask participants to still abide by physical distancing, especially if indoors.
- Participants will leave by exiting the gallery doors and proceeding out the balcony to the west gate.
- The utility bathroom will be open for use ONLY. Participants will not be permitted into the Passages Gallery area or the secondary washroom.
- Participants will sanitize their own easel/drawing donkey by spraying them down with Virox spray and allowing them to open dry. The facilitator will assist with enhanced touch surface cleaning at the end of each session. A list of common touch areas will be provided as will orientation on the use of the products we use for disinfection.
- Participants should bring their own refreshments.
- Upon leaving the facility, we ask all participants to re-sanitize their hands.
We ask that any participant/model or facilitator, if they feel ill or show any signs of Covid-19, that they do not enter the building. Provisions will be made to cover off/reschedule/refund etc., but anyone who is even slightly ill (even with minor cold-like symptoms) can not be permitted in the building and should stay home and call Island Health Authority, or join the online sessions.
- Recording or photogaphy of any kind is not allowed during the session to protect the privacy of our models and other participants.
- Online Life Drawing sessions are conducted using Zoom. You do not have to have a Zoom Account to participate. Please visit Zoom online to learn more about this service.
- Please ensure your screen is not accessible to others in your house or studio – especially minors under 18 years of age.
- All participants must share their video and audio and check-in at the beginning of the session.
Mondays 7:00–9:00 p.m.
In-Person and Online
Note: Please arrive early: doors will be locked at 6:55 p.m.
Male & Female models. Gestures to 20-minute poses.
Long Pose Painting/Drawing
Wednesdays 10:00 a.m.–noon
In-Person and Online
Male & Female models
The model takes the same pose for three consecutive sessions. This way participants can do a 6-hour work, or shorter works. Participants can do a portrait of the model, if they wish.
Materials: the only restriction is against turpentines, odourless or otherwise, because even the odourless turps release emissions that affect some people.
Saturdays 1:00–2:00 p.m.
Male & Female models. Gestures to 20-minute poses.
Saturdays 2:30–3:30 p.m.
Male & Female models. 5 to 25 -minute poses.
Thank you to our Sponsors!