Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced new Covid-19 measures for the province. As of today, Xchanges advises that:
- In Person life drawing participation is limited to 8 artists plus the model and facilitator.
- Masks are mandatory.
- Vaccine Passports must be shown as fully vaccinated.
For more information about these Provincial directives please see the following link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
You can also subscribe to the following blog post for regular updates on Covid-19 impacts and policies at Xchanges: COVID-19 Current Policies.
Information about in-person/online sessions (when available)
Starting in September 2021, we will again offer a combination of in-person and online life drawing sessions. These new sessions require a maximum of 8 in-person participants to register in advance. All sessions require a minimum of 10 participants (comprised of in-person and online participants).
In Person and Online Life Drawing is open to anyone in the community – members and non members alike and all skill levels are welcome. In fact, beginners may be even more comfortable working in their own space to begin with. If you have any concerns about group gatherings or our in-person sessions are full, online is a great option.
These are non-instructed sessions; all experience levels are welcome. It’s a great place to meet other artists and hone your figurative skills in a supportive and creative environment.
In-Person Participants – Covid Protocols (SEE COVID UPDATES)
In-person sessions are held in the gallery. Drawing boards, donkeys, and sculpture stands are provided. Participants provide their own art materials.
To reserve a space please visit our Online Store. All spaces are sold on a first come basis.
To comply with local health guidelines concerning Covid-19, please note the following guidelines being implemented at Xchanges:
- If the weather permits, windows and doors will remain open to allow for ventilation but will ensure that the model is protected from view.
- The capacity limit for the gallery exhibition is 8 artists +1 facilitator+1 model. This does not include studio artist who it is deemed, will be in their private studio space and NOT in the gallery at the same time.
- Only pre-registered and prepaid (via the online system) will be permitted into the gallery space. There will be no drop-ins permitted.
- Participants will be required to sanitize their hands at the sanitizing station and will be required to provide a name/phone number for tracing purposes. This list will be destroyed after a suitable time frame. Although the online registration does provide us with a list, the actual PRESENT attendance must be taken.
- All participants must remain 2m apart from each other.
- No participant or facilitator is allowed to move the model stage or the areas designated for easels/drawing donkeys. These are static stations measured to ensure physical distancing.
- Masks are required and mandatory- Xchanges will have non-medical masks available. Masks must be worn at all times – no exceptions.
- At break time we ask participants to still abide by physical distancing, especially if indoors and to take advantage of the deck to get some fresh air.
- Participants will leave by exiting the gallery doors and proceeding out the balcony to the west gate.
- Participants should bring their own refreshments and consume them on the outside deck so that masks can be removed to take refreshments.
- The utility bathroom will be open for use ONLY. Participants will not be permitted into the Passages Gallery area or the secondary washroom.
- Participants will sanitize their own easel/drawing donkey by spraying them down with Virox spray and allowing them to open dry. The facilitator will assist with enhanced touch surface cleaning at the end of each session. A list of common touch areas will be provided as will orientation on the use of the products we use for disinfection.
- Upon leaving the facility, we ask all participants to re-sanitize their hands.
We ask that any participant/model or facilitator, if they feel ill or show any signs of Covid-19, that they do not enter the building. Provisions will be made to cover off/reschedule/refund etc., but anyone who is even slightly ill (even with minor cold-like symptoms) can not be permitted in the building and should stay home and call Island Health Authority, or join the online sessions.
Fees & Session Information
How it works
Registration and payment in advance is required using our Online Store.
Important: You will receive the Zoom link via email and it is also available on the online store. The Facilitators will confirm you have paid in advance of joining the session. If you have not paid, you will be given the link to the online store and once paid you can rejoin the meeting.
All sessions are subject to minimum registrations. Early registration is recommended. Participants will be notified as soon as possible if it must be cancelled due to insufficient registration. All registration fees are non-refundable unless a session is cancelled. Any payments received will be refunded or can be applied to a future session.
The meeting rooms will be open for 15 minutes before the session begins to allow participants to set up and for those online to login in and review the House Keeping and Codes of Conduct information. All sessions will be moderated by an Xchanges Life Drawing Facilitators both In Person and Online.
During the break and at the end of the session, participants may choose to share their work and turn their video or audio on to chat with others online and in the room to introduce themselves. The Facilitators will help enable this interaction and orient participants to the tools.
Xchanges runs special projects for life drawing including exhibitions at the Gallery and online. All participants are welcome to join these activities when available.
For more information about online life drawing, please see our Testimonials page to see what others have to say about this program.
- Recording or photogaphy of any kind is not allowed during the session to protect the privacy of our models and other participants.
- Online Life Drawing sessions are conducted using Zoom. You do not have to have a Zoom Account to participate. Please visit Zoom online to learn more about this service.
- Please ensure your screen is not accessible to others in your house or studio – especially minors under 18 years of age.
- All participants must share their video and audio and check-in at the beginning of the session.
Mondays 7:00–9:00 p.m.
In Person at the gallery and online (hybrid) – $15 in person, $5 online
Note: Please arrive early: doors will be locked at 6:55 p.m.
Male & female models. Gestures to 20-minute poses.
Life Drawing/Painting LONG POSE
Wednesday Mornings 10am-noon
In Person at the gallery and online (hybrid) – $15 in person, $5 online
Male and female models hold the same pose for 3 weeks in a row.
Life and Portrait Drawing (will restart in November 2021)
Saturdays 1:00–3:00 p.m.
Online Only – $10
Male & Female models. Gestures to 20-minute poses. First half is life drawing, second half is portrait drawing.
Participants are encouraged to share or post their drawings and art resulting from the life drawing sessions on our Facebook page or send to us to post on our Instagram! We can also create new blog posts right here on our site so send those images in todayto our email: email@example.com.
Xchanges gratefully acknowledges the Government of British Columbia and the CRD Arts & Culture Support Service.
Thank you to our Sponsors!