Bring your digital creativity and leadership skills to the next level in this important regional arts project!
Internship Title: PIDC Project Multimedia Art and Technology Research and Development Intern
Term: August 1, 2022 to March 4, 2023
Hours: 35 per week
Hourly wage: $23.00
Application Deadline: July 17, 2022 (12:00 AM Midnight PST)
The Multimedia Art and Technology Research and Development Intern (“Intern”) will support the Physical Intersections Digital Collaborations (“PIDC Project” or “Project”). This Project is a collaboration between three organizations: Xchanges Gallery and Studios, Victoria Arts Council, and MediaNet (Flux Media Gallery) in Victoria, B.C.
Funded by the Canada Council Digital Now funding stream, the PIDC Project will bring together 11 multidisciplinary artists (dancers, visual, media, and more) supported by a team of three curator/mentors, and a project leadership team (5+ members). The artists will work individually and in collaborative groups (two or more artists of different disciplines) to create unique works or evolve works in iterative phases over 12 months. The PIDC Project seeks to go beyond traditional virtual galleries to create unique audience experiences that integrate physical and digital spaces using contemporary technologies.
The Intern will be an integral part of the project team supporting the artistic collaboration groups, with a key emphasis on research, tool evaluation, testing, production, project management, and communication. The intern will recruit subject matter experts who will provide exposure and/or training to the artists in a variety of digital tools such as Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, video projection, holographic tools etc. The full scope will be iteratively developed as we progress. The Intern will be involved in web development for the collaborative teams and the Project public-facing site using WordPress and 3d Gallery technologies.
The internship is a critical success factor for this project. The Project is regional in scope (Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands) and will significantly impact the economic health of many artists, as well as the artistic and cultural outputs for the community. By supporting this project, the Intern will be directly enhancing the Project’s ability to deliver these benefits throughout the region.
Xchanges supports a flexible work environment with partial remote work, or work-from-home options. Xchanges Gallery and Studios is located and serving on unceded territories of the lək̓ʷəŋən, Songhees, Esquimalt, and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples. Xchanges is committed to diversity, equity, and respect in the workplace. We have developed policy and Codes of Conduct to support all members, staff, and visitors to Xchanges to feel safe and welcome on the premises.
Address and Contact: 2333 Government Street, Suite 6E, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8T 4P4 1.250.382.0442 | email@example.com | https://xchangesgallery.org
1) Works collaboratively and participates in all team meetings.
2) Manages, coordinates, and implements appropriate collaboration and communication software to facilitate team cohesion, collaboration, and innovation.
3) Provides project management and communications support to the team (functional Scrum Master based on Agile methodology).
4) Supports Curators in developing/researching contemporary/emerging artistic and technology-based or integrated practices that will be shared with artists’ teams as part of their overall development/learning.
5) Researches and helps recruit technology SMEs (subject matter experts) and develops information resources for the team.
6) Supports/collaborates with artists in testing and developing proofs of concepts online and in physical spaces.
7) Develops and maintains a web archive of project assets and for public presentation.
8) Other duties as required for project success.
Training above and beyond the Intern’s skillset can include, but is not limited to in-person training with mentors/supervisors (1:1 knowledge transfer), online workshops and training, as well as self-directed time to explore and learn via tutorials and research in the following:
1) WordPress Development – full development of professional websites including installation and management of plugins and other system integrations; use of testing and staging sites, pre-deployment quality assurance, SEO/Discoverability, Go Live Planning and Execution, site health, analytics, digital standards and branding, etc.
2) Virtual Platform & Integration – the Intern will be part of the research, selection, and implementation of integrated Virtual Platforms in the physical spaces—these could be interactive 3d Galleries or Elements within physical gallery spaces that have a physical presence and could involve several devices using VR, AR, projection, video, or sound technologies.
3) Adobe Creative Cloud production tools – full suite access with an emphasis on 3d tools, user experience planning and development tools for all devices, and video editing/publishing tools, including Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro, Adobe Rush, Aero, etc.
4) Social, Communication, Leadership development – managing and working in the non-profit artist-run and volunteer sector.
About the Community Partners, your mentors and collaborators
Established in 1967, Xchanges Gallery and Studios is a non-profit charity, founded to provide affordable studio space for practising artists, a public gallery with monthly exhibitions showcasing the work of emerging artists or those changing direction. Xchanges supports artistic practice with in-person and online life drawing two times per week and utilizes the gallery space for other programming, as well such as Artist(s) in Residence or project space for artists.
Established in 1968, the Victoria Arts Council is a non-profit registered charitable organization mandated to connect audiences with art and artists. The VAC focuses on visual and literary art. With a main professional gallery space as well as ten community satellite locations throughout the CRD, a quarterly digital magazine, and a monthly lecture series, the VAC presents the work of approximately 250 artists annually for an estimated audience of two million.
MediaNet was founded in 1981, is a non-profit charitable organization mandated to provide access to specialized video equipment and post-production tools, help artists create independent film, video, and media art, as well as providing learning opportunities and exhibitions. They operate video editing suites, low-cost equipment rentals and learning, as well as FLUX media Gallery, a physical and online gallery space showing media artworks by local, national, and international media artists.
Intern Applicant Profile and How to Apply
Xchanges Gallery and Studios and the PIDC Project Community Partners and team members are committed to hiring practices that reflect the diverse communities we serve. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and abilities, including members of historically marginalized groups, racialized communities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
To be eligible to apply for this opportunity, all applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada (either a citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee status – work permits are not eligible for this project).
- Have completed post-secondary studies.
Desired Skills and Knowledge
The following are desired skills and knowledge – any of these will be strong assets for your application.
- WordPress and web design (basic to intermediate an asset)
- Graphic design basics
- Social media outreach experience (blogging, FB, Twitter, etc.)
- Interactive content development, and basic grasp of intuitive design principles
- Understanding of typography + graphic design basics (Adobe Creative Suites, etc.) an asset
- Familiarity with AR, AI, 3D, VR and emerging technologies, web platforms
- Excellent computer skills in general
- Knowledgeable and/or experience in the arts and arts communities or volunteer sector
- Basic project management skills and/or knowledge
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION NOW:
Please send CV + cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by July 17, 2022
This internship opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance and funded by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
Xchanges Gallery and Studios – PIDC Project Funding:
Xchanges Gallery and Studios is grateful for the support of the Government of British Columbia and the Capital Regional District in support of its Gallery programming