Submissions for our 2022–2023 Public Exhibitions Program (September, 2022-June, 2023) are now open. Submission Deadline is February 28, 2022; decisions in regards to submissions will be made by the middle of March 2022.
Artists and curators from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands are invited to submit proposals for Xchanges’ next Gallery season. Xchanges programming encourages a range of visual arts mediums with a particular interest in exhibiting the diverse practices of artists in the early stages of their career and those who have taken a new departure with their work.
Xchanges is committed to exhibiting the work of artists from diverse and/or marginalized communities including Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour or Racialized persons, artists with accessibility challenges, and gender and sexually diverse artists. We recognize that these artists may need some additional supports to bring their work to the public. Artists are encouraged to share this information in their application so we may take this into consideration when considering all applicants and how we can support them.
Complete submissions must include the following eight items:
- COVER LETTER (1 page maximum) (including artist’s information: name, email address, phone number, & mailing address)
- PROPOSAL SUMMARY (50 words maximum)
- CURRICULUM VITAE (2 pages maximum)
- ARTIST’S STATEMENT (1 page maximum)
- EXHIBITION PROPOSAL (1 page maximum, including any special requirements)
- ARTIST’S BIO (150 words maximum)
- 8–10 JPEGS (or audio /visual performances) (Format Requirements: 500KB–1MB, 72 dpi, 1024 x 768) * NOTE: All JPEGS and A/V performances MUST be labeled using the following format: Sequence #, First Initial, Last Name; Title; Year Produced (Example: 1KSmith-Title-2019)
- IMAGE LIST (Including: SEQUENCE#; FIRST INITIAL, LAST NAME; TITLE; DIMENSIONS; MEDIUM; YEAR)
- Xchanges Gallery currently has exhibitions booked through March 2022.
- Selected artists are responsible for installing their work and are required to sit the Gallery for the three weekends of their show. Gallery Hours begin Friday evening opening hours are 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. The Gallery is hours are Sat/Sun 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Artist may choose to extend these hours but not reduce them. Artists may also include a talk or presentation as part of the exhibition program.
- After their exhibition, artists are required to restore the exhibition space and walls to pre-exhibition condition.
- Artists who have been selected for an exhibition at Xchanges Gallery within the two years prior are not eligible for the 2022–2023 season.
- Artists may join Xchanges as a member (see the Join page), and participate in any other exhibition opportunties including Members´Group Exhibits, Art Passage, and Pop Up Shows.
- The gallery floor space is used for other purposes during times when exhibitions are not open to the public. Please note that anything that is not fixed to the walls will be moved and should be easily movable.
- Xchanges Gallery offers a small honorarium per exhibition.
- Xchanges does not return submissions and will dispose of material appropriately.
- The gallery jury committee will review all proposals submitted. Additional material will not be reviewed.
- Please review the above checklist. Only complete email submissions will be accepted.
Please send your completed application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org – Subject Line: Exhibition Proposal 2022–2023